As students move through Kindergarten to Grade 5, our goal is to ensure effective communication in the English language.
Furthermore, the English program provides opportunities to access the English language for the purpose of developing life-long learning habits and active global citizenship. Elementary students at all levels engage in a variety of rich experiences with the English language, through a balanced approach. This includes some of the following:
- Specific instruction about spelling, phonics, grammar and vocabulary in context.
- Flexible small group instruction to meet the specific needs of each learner.
- Reading comprehension strategies built through deliberate readings of texts.
- Discussing literature using academic language.
- Incorporating feedback into their work.
- Exposure to different genres of writing and reading.
- Building writing and reading stamina and volume through goal-setting and reflection.