As students move through the middle school, our goal is to ensure effective communication in the English language. Through Grades 6 to 9, our English program builds students' skills so that they are well prepared for the rigors of grade ten and beyond.
Furthermore, the English program provides opportunities to access the English language for the purpose of developing life-long learning habits and active global citizenship. Middle school students engage in a variety of experiences with the English language, through a balanced approach. This includes some of the following:
- Specific instruction about spelling, phonics, grammar and vocabulary in context.
- Close study of selected texts to develop skills in literary analysis.
- Discussing literature using academic language and supporting opinions with specific textual evidence.
- Exposure to different writing purposes.
- Experiences with rich literature in a variety of genres.
- Building writing and reading stamina and volume through goal-setting and reflection.
Grade Level Content Expectations: English 6-9