Head of School's Welcome
Hello and welcome to Nishimachi. Tané Matsukata founded the school in 1949 and her legacy continues today within a strong academic, activity based learning program.
We employ well-qualified, energetic teachers and staff who provide excellent care and high quality learning opportunities for students both inside and outside of the classroom.
Nishimachi has been accredited by the Council of International Schools (CIS) since 2006 and also by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) since 1986. The school has just completed a very successful CIS/ WASC accreditation renewal process, which attests to our high academic standards and to the quality of the overall program and services offered.
The recent CIS/ WASC Accreditation Report praised our school for :
‣ its rich, conceptually based curriculum taught through an inquiry-based approach to learning, excellent daily teaching practices, and diverse formative and summative assessment strategies.
‣ our commitment to a strong educational philosophy rooted in internationalism and mutual respect that allows children to learn in a supportive, caring environment.
‣ our respectful and impressive student body who exemplify the special identity of Nishimachi, including the School-wide Learning Expectations.
‣ the provision of a strong Japanese language and culture program that addresses a broad range of student ability and is supported by resources, faculty and staff.
‣ its strong financial foundation that promotes security and long-term planning for staff and parents and ample resources to support effective teaching and learning.
‣ our committed parent community and alumni who support the school through fundraisers, special events and celebrations.
We invite you to visit us, and see first hand what advantages a Nishimachi education can bring to your children.
Head of School